Monday, October 29, 2007

Halloween Window Shopping

I love to go and see what the retailers have out for Halloween. Some years there are very clever displays. The florist around here are creative, but many of the other stores were not so Halloweenie. However, here are a few of the fun things I found. The strawberries ghosts are from an upscale chocolate store. They seemed to have dipped them in white chocolate, trailed it out (or maybe even painted it) before it hardened. The eyes and mouths are made of bits of regular chocolate painted on. The items with them are slices of strawberry and marshmallow with chocolate drizzled all over them. I am hoping to have time to do some of these, but I doubt that it will actually happen. Having here on my blog might remind me for next year.

The striped bowl and spider towels were at Crate & Barrel. I thought it was a lot of fun. I have a friend with a totally black and white kitchen. I thought of here when I saw those. I just wanted to hold them and make cookies while stirring with and orange spatula. It feels like "Cat in the Hat" meets Martha Stewart to me.

The place settings are easier to find. I first saw a picture of them in some flyer I got. I cut it out as I thought it would make a fun set of quilt squares. Then I saw these at Sur La Table. I REALLY want these. Of course, with my fetish for dishes, I don't really need them, but when were need and desire companions? I may have to sneak over to the store on November 1 to see if there are any left. That store has great sales. I also saw just the mugs at Border's bookstore. I might have to check there as well.

I am still looking for the link from last year where someone made a "Day of the Dead" table runner. I did a ton of Google searches, but to no avail.

We are off to do yet another remake of Ellie's costume. First she was Ester from the 1930's. It was a wonderful costume, but not her favorite. I told her I thought it would net a lot of candy, being nostalgic for many people. Next it was a scary "Fairy Eater" monster with long, hideous fingers and red nails, complete with a horned skeleton face. Friday at the school party she was the business fairy. I will post a photo of that soon. It was kind of fun. She became the "stocks and bonds" fairy by the end of the night. Now she wants another kind of fairy, one with shocking lime green and hot pink, complete with feather boas.

No comments: