Monday, November 12, 2007

New England Cran-Maple Chutney Recipe & Talking at Races

I am in a funny place. I have both been planning for and anticipating Thanksgiving, and feeling like it crept up on me. It is a week and a half away. I feel both behind schedule and right on track. Funny, kind of silly, kind of place to be. Anyhow, here's the next recipe I want to try. I was going to make it this weekend, but I could not find crystallized ginger at my regular grocery store. They had all manner of funky stuff like candied pineapple and crystallized cherries, but no ginger. I will scope it out at another store and report back. I found this in our local newspaper and then on the ButterBall Turkey website. I think it will be good:

New England Cran-Maple Chutney

Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 10 - 20 minutes Ready In: Less than 2 1/2 hours Servings: 8 servings (3 cups total)

1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
2 tablespoons
lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon honey Dijon-style mustard
1 bag
(12 ounce) fresh cranberries
1/2 cup (2.5oz) chopped crystallized ginger
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup sugar

Directions

1. Combine all ingredients in heavy medium saucepan. 2. Bring to boil on medium heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes or until cranberries begin to pop and mixture thickens. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours to chill and allow flavors to blend. 3. Transfer chutney to a bowl and serve with roasted Butterball Turkey.

Suggestions

Chutney mixture can be prepared and refrigerated up to 1 week before serving.

We spent the weekend at races. Now if you read this blog often you will see that I spend nearly every weekend at the races, but this time it was even more true. On Saturday we helped put the race on so we were there nearly all day. I volunteered to serve food for 2 hours, but the other folks did not show and people were so happy for free food that I stayed. My kids were happily hanging out with other kids, so it was all good. I made special aprons with our team logo on them. Too bad I don't have a photo to show you. I served up over 400 hot dogs, 150 bowls of soup and over 200 muffins. We also had fruit. One of the team parents made a Starbucks run and brought back a Chia with soy milk. It was great. I had been craving one. I do not buy myself Starbuck so it was a real treat. It was a great day for a bike race. Sunday was a good race, too. Ethan stayed home sick and Ellie came in second place. As we were walking to the car she asked me why everyone wants to talk to me. It seems that I am sort of a walking information site. I am also easy to spot since I have such long and distinctly straight hair (it goes down to my waist.) She finds it both great and a hassle. Great because we have so many friends and can help people, but a hassle that we can't go far without being stopped. I told her I thought I was helping to keep Junior Cycling in Colorado strong. Thankfully she had not hassled me for stopping and petting every dog that goes to the races. I love them and they seem happy, usually, to have me give them a little doggy lovin'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're making me very hungry Tam!