Monday, December 29, 2008

Candy Sushi and Fun with Laura

Last weekend we had a holiday party to go to. We could bring anything we wanted to bring. I decided that it would be fun to bring something seriously silly instead of the usual main dish - ish kind of thing I do. I got this wild hair idea from a flash ad from Safeway. When I saw the candy sushi I knew I had to give it a go! It was really pretty easy. The hardest thing was to decide which kinds to make.At first I was going to make several different kinds. (If you look at the Safeway link you will see what I mean.) Then I settled on one kind, reasoning that that was enough sugar and money spent on candy for one night at a party. The only challenge was that I could not find any single or regular colored fruit roll-ups. Our candy sushi was going to be wild, baby!
Here's what we started with: You'll notice our lovely assistant, Laura, and Alli.

and then the actual players:

You begin by getting all of your stuff out and buttering a jelly roll pan. I also had the kids pull apart the licorice so it was all ready to roll. You make a quick batch of rice krispies and pat them into the pan. While they are warm you line up the licorice and the gummy worms. Be sure to sort of measure out how wide to make it. This is based on the width of the fruit roll-ups. Do this part quickly. Have another person hand you the fruit roll-up part and begin to make the rolls.

I found that I had to squeeze the rolls once the fruit roll-up was on it. It helped it stick better.

Then we cut them. We found it was best to cut straight down instead of a sawing motion.

The kids loved it. My candy sushi was not as pretty as the ones the pros made, but it was still a big hit!

If you decide you want to give it a try you can find lots of cool variations by Googling it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think the archive you wirte is very good, but i think it will be better if you can say more..hehe,love your blog,,,

Anonymous said...

Although there are differences in content, but I still want you to establish Links, I do not know how you advice!