Monday, March 02, 2009

Alien Invasion Cupcakes


Things have been crazy busy since I posted last. I had Parent/Teacher conferences which means I was at school on Thursday from 7:15 a.m. until almost 9:00 p.m. On Friday I had one of my Face two Face meetings for the online ed. classes I am teaching to other teachers. It was fun, but stressful as my material did not get released from the developer, but it did get released to everyone else. Since I don't write the course I walked into a day long class dealing with some stuff I could only guess at. The other instructor had rights so it worked out okay. The developer felt bad for forgetting to add me in. From there I picked up Ellie, had dinner with a lovely friend and then zoomed off to spinning practice. The girls' coach, Luwanna, had a guest speaker who deals with sports nutrition. It was great information that I may post here some time soon. While they were spinning I worked with Coach Bill to order new cassettes for Ethan's and Ellie's bikes. I am thankful for Bill. He and the bike mechanic seemed to be speaking a foreign language but the best ones I could afford got ordered. Then we waved good bye and sped off to a dinner party. It was fun, but I was pooped. We played "Buzz Word" and Rock Band. I think I most likely simply fell into bed around midnight.

So, you might be saying to yourself, What does this have to do with the cupcakes at the top of this post? Well, I'll tell you. Ellie wanted to do something unusual for her 12th birthday. At first she was not going to celebrate at all, but then she changed her mind. She had a small, fun party which I will post about later. Part of the fun was the cupcakes. She found inspiration in the "Hello Cupcake" book I got her for Christmas. Here's how you do them. You make regular cupcakes and freeze them. Once they are frozen you build up the shape. We used minidonuts, donut holes, cupcakes and a can of frosting. You use the frosting like mortar. This gets frozen, too.

You tint another can of frosting and put it in a thin, small glass measuring cup or wide mug. You cook it in the microwave for 30 seconds or so, just enough to make it the consistency of syrup. Then you dip the cupcakes into the frosting. It coats nicely and drips off the extra. Next, you put on eyes made of jelly beans. The antennae was a bit more challenging. I found I had to sort of dig a hole with a pastry tip, stick in the licorice and push it in with a toothpick. The end result was very cute and very popular. They reminded me of Lilo in the Lilo and Stitch movie.

The kids were excited and declared them a success. In reality they were a bit too much and no one could eat the entire thing. The squirrels were happy to help by carting them off. We hope they are not allergic to chocolate. Happy Birthday party, squirrels! Ellie sends her best wishes to you!

No comments: