Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Of Graduates & tears, of Rain and Naps, with a Little Creativity Thrown In


In order to graduate from AVS you must write, present and successfully defend a thesis that you are developing the skills to become and effective adult. It is a big deal. Each person gets a night to him/herself to present and defend. After one of them this year Ellie turned to me and said, "Mom, I am a little worried. I am not sure what I will say at my thesis defense." I replied by saying, "Don't worry, love, you have six years to think about it." I love that my kids take these events to heart. After they are done, we have a big graduation celebration. This year's celebration was this last Sunday. While they are all emotional, this one was especially deep. One of the graduates has been with us since we opened our doors. The others have been part of our community for a long, long time. It is hard to imagine the school without them. During the celebration a rain storm began. It grew and grew, thundering, sending down light purple lightening and buckets of rain. By the end of the celebration the school yard was a lake. If you opened the door you invited a river into the main room. My Ethan saw this as a problem and took it upon himself to send the buckets back out. He didn't seem to mind getting wet. He just wanted everyone to have a fun, dry time.

Once home, we wanted to stay there. The weather was cool and the rain made a lovely sound on the roof. Here's what the cats thought of it...


Monday I spent some of the free time to make my contribution for the AVS silent auction. Last year's jewelry was a hit, so I took it up a notch. I made lots of earrings and a few zipper pulls. I am hopeful that they will sell well.





No comments: