Friday, February 25, 2011

A Little Bit of Black and Yellow - A Small Project for My Girl



It's kind of funny. When the kids were born we were very careful to not put gender stereotypes on our kids. I asked people to refrain from buying tiny sports uniforms and I loved dressing them in colors other than blue or pink. However, they continue to prove to me that they are their own people. Take Wednesday night as an example. I took Ellie to dance class where she worked on her Waltz, her Rhythm and her form. Larr took Ethan to learn how to use a plasma cutter. Both were happy as can be.

I've spent much of my time where I drive and then wait for a kid working on knitting projects. I got about 5" into the last project that I posted about but found that the gauge was too small so I undid it all. In the interim I began a pair of fingerless gloves for Ellie. She picked out Neon Yellow and Black.

She started out suggesting regular stripes, but I thought that might look too much like part of a Bee costume, so I mixed it up a bit. Ellie likes the result and asked that the second glove coordinate, not match. They were a hit at dance class. Several of the other girls tried them on. I think I'd find willing recipients if I decide that I want to knit more of them. Ellie likes them. They remind me of the '80's. I keep imaging big hair, punk rock music (such as "I'll Melt With You" by the Modern English) and leg warmers. Hmm, I wonder if those will be on my horizon some time soon.

No comments: