Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Quiet Beauty Around Us

Today I am inspired by the quiet beauty around me, whether that be in my own home, or in some remote place. The day is nice enough for me to open the windows and let a breeze into the house. I will make cookies and bread as I work.
The red Amarillas that was supposed to bloom at Christmas, but shared its glory this week. This way we noticed and enjoyed it more, rather than it simply being part of the riot of color we have during the holiday season. Next year I think I will buy some of these preplanted bulbs near Christmas so that I can have this joy repeated.


I also love my snowflake light for many reasons - the clean lines in the design, the glow it radiates, and the memory of our trip to Wisconsin a few years ago. I am tempted to buy a few of the other designs from Kronlume Scandinavian Lighting.

I love the plants in the windows of my kitchen. They, too, are linked to a memory, that of my mother-in-law, Eleanor, who is no longer with us.

I am inspired by this girl, Klara Harden , and her Icelandic journey. I also love the music.

MADE IN ICELAND from Klara Harden on Vimeo.

TheWind from Klara Harden on Vimeo.



I've spent part of my weekend putting together an Indie Music playlist. I have gathered a number of bands and artists to consider:
*Fleet Foxes
* Mumford & Sons
* DeVotchka
* A Hawk and a Hacksaw
* Leonard Cohen
* The Shins
* Bon Iver
* Band of Horses
* Grizzley Bear
* My Morning Jacket
* Cold Play
* Death Cab for Cutie
* Modest Mouse
* Iron and Wine
* Elliott Smith
* Cat Power
* Regina Spektor
* Bright Eyes
* Rufus Wainwright
* Sufjan Stevens
* Jose Gonzales
* The Weepies
* Remy Zero
* Ray LaMontagne
* Joanna Newsom
* laura Marling
* The Wailin' Jennys
* The Unthanks
* The Civil Wars
*Alexi Murdoch
* Cary Brothers

What other music might you add to my list?

No comments: