Sunday, November 16, 2014

Bella Frida + Pot Roast (Easy and Tasty), Cabbage & Kielbasa Soup, Minestrone Soup

I recently found out that I won the Frida prize in the ofrenda contest that I entered over at Two Hands Paperie. It was pretty exciting and then I found out that I would be receiving a $50 for Bella Frida in Louisville. I love the fact that Laura made the gift card into a whole present with a fun bag and paper flower. Don't you think it is fun?! It is a store that is dedicated to offering items made by artist, most of whom are from Mexico. It is owned by Laura, who I wrote about when I went to Two Hands for the Day of the Dead event.
On Saturday Natalie and I went to Boulder to Two Hands and then over to Louisville where we had a fabulous lunch at Casa Alegre. If you enjoy Mexican food, I would recommend this place. The food was great and so was the service.

Then we headed over to Bella Frida. It was so much more than I had expected. Natalie and I spent a long time in the store. I bought myself a new skirt and some fun socks.
Do you see the metal hearts in the photo of the blouses? I used my gift card to purchase the bigger one. I think I will hang it up in my art room, or maybe the upstairs bathroom that is full of color.
I had a hard time deciding what to pick. I almost chose one of the skeletons with wings. I think they are wonderful!
We loved going to Laura's shop. I also love that she has not decorated for Christmas, that she is letting that wait until after Thanksgiving. I will try to go and visit again to see who she sets up the shop for the Holiday season.

----------

Cabbage & Kielbasa Soup

1 large Red Onion, chopped
3 TBL. Olive Oil
2 tea. Garlic, minced
1 pnd Carrots, cut into coins
2 rings Kielbasa Sausage, cut into pieces or diced
1 med. Bunch of Fingerling Potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
6 cups Chicken Stock
1 head Cabbage, chopped
1 tea. Smoked Sweet Hungarian Paprika
1 tea. Nutmeg, ground
1 tea Celery Salt
Salt and Pepper to taste
Balsamic Vinegar, served as a condiment

Saute the onion and the kielbasa in hot oil in a soup pot until the onion is softened. Add in the garlic and saute a bit longer. Add the potatoes and stock. Simmer until the spices with the potatoes until they are cooked, about 30 min. Bring the soup to a boil and add the cabbage. Stir. Turn the heat to medium. Cook for about 5 minutes or more. The longer you simmer the soup, the more the cabbage will incorporate. If you make this in a crock pot, some of the cabbage will sort of dissolve or melt and begin to thicken the soup a bit. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set out the balsamic vinegar so that it may be added for additional flavor, if desired. Serve with a nice bread, such as thick slices of French bread.

* I would have added caraway seeds, if I had any. I am also considering adding in apples.

---------------


Pot Roast
via: My Recipes.com

2 cups water
1 5 to 6-lb. beef pot roast $
1 1-oz. pkg. ranch salad dressing mix
1 .7-oz. pkg. Italian salad dressing mix
1 .87-oz. pkg. brown gravy mix $
6 to 8 potatoes, peeled and cubed $
8 to 10 carrots, peeled and thickly sliced $
Preparation

Pour water into a large oval slow cooker; add roast. Combine mixes and sprinkle over roast.

Cover and cook on low setting for 6 to 7 hours; add potatoes and carrots during the last 2 hours of cooking.

----------

Olive Garden Inspired Minestrone Soup
via: Eat Yourself Skinny Blog

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup zucchini, chopped
1/2 cup frozen cut green beans
1/4 cup celery, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups vegetable broth
1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, drained
1 (15 oz) can small white beans, drained
1/2 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup carrots, julienned
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1 1/2 cups hot water
3 cups fresh baby spinach
1/3 cup small pasta shells

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat and saute onion, celery, garlic, zucchini and green beans, about 5 minutes. The add vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, beans, carrot, hot water and spices. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, allowing soup to simmer for about 20 minutes.

Add baby spinach leaves and pasta, cooking an additional 20 minutes, then serve. Enjoy!

No comments: