Saturday, July 07, 2007




Today the kids and I traveled to Grand Junction to have an extended weekend with the Fosters. Natalie had lots of fun things planned, as usual. Our first creative activity was a root beer tasting,done in a wine tasting style. It was such fun. We tested five brands: A & W; Boyland's Natural; Virgil's Natural; Mug; and Stewart's. Each person had five disposable cups with a letter on it and a rating sheet. We looked at color, aroma, root beer taste, sweetness and overall favorite. Natalie and I poured small amounts in each cup before we called the kids in. It was really kind of amazing how different the root beers were and how the overall ratings came out. I loved Virgil's Natural Root beer (from Vitamin Cottage) because of the complex, deep flavor and aroma. I was amazed to find that it has nutmeg and wintergreen in it. Most everyone else loved the A&W Root beer. We decided that maybe people are accustomed to that one the most and have come to associate it with what we call root beer. My response to it may have had to do with the fact that my first job was at A&W, so I know way too much about it. The "romance" for me around that is gone. The rating was such fun. After we finished our sheets we went through and revealed what each brand was. Natalie got this idea from the blog, "One More Moore," who seems to have lots of fun ideas and recipes going on.

No comments: