Thursday, April 03, 2008

Bridges, a Magic Bus and Funeral

Utah Road Trip:
I wrote about our trip to see the Natural Bridges yesterday, but I am including the photos of them today. These were formed by water. The kids were a bit amazed by them. They are not sure it would be safe to walk over them. They were taken by the photo in the visitor's center that showed a row of 20 horses and their riders on the thin part of the bridge.
On Other Notes:
Have you taken time to give love to the people in your life today? I went to my student's funeral yesterday evening. I went as a friend, as a teacher, as a mother and a supporter for the others who were so sad. I was very glad to see that it was well attended. I hope that the parents take some comfort that their child was so connected. I also appreciate that they dressed Tori in a way that she loved. I think they did their best to honor her. It was heartbreaking to listen and view. No parent should have to bury their child. Tori's friends were heartbroken. For many of them, this was their first funeral. Tori's assistant principal gave a speech. She talked about Tori's willingness to love you, even if you had many faults. She also spoke about how Tori would not want any of the kids there to join her in heaven. My heart was heavy. I could not have said those words, but they needed to be said. There were two kids in the audience that I have talked out of suicide just this year. I am afraid for them. I was there for those kids. I must have hugged kids a hundred times at the funeral. One student, who was kicked out of our school but still has a great connection with me, asked me to hug him nine times. I told him I was glad to see him and that I hoped he was happy were he was living now. I hope that he felt noticed and important. I forgot to tell him I miss him. I think he already knows it, but he could have benefited from hearing it. I
hate when I forget to do things like that. Today I checked in with the kids I saw at the funeral. I think it provided good closure for them.
And a Magic Bus:
I rented "Into the Wild." It is a true story of an educated young man who gives all his money to charity and treks to Alaska, as well at other spots. He has adventures both good and bad. I will not tell you how it ends, but I will say that it is a romantic version of a difficult lifestyle. Ethan was very taken by it. I kind of wish he had not seen it. I don't want him to do the same thing. He promises me that he would not do that. He says he may go into the wild and spend a month by himself, but that we would still have contact with him. He would be safe. I trust him. I am just sad for what happened to this young man and his family. I would never want him to endure such an event. The film itself was lovely and so well done. I think the family was brave to allow it to be made.




No comments: