Monday, August 24, 2009

Lovely Cooking Movies and a Wonderful Chicken Salad


I've been waiting since last spring to see the "Julie and Julia" movie. I was too busy to see it the week it came out. At our cooking class people raved about it. I thought it was lovely and inspiring. I read Julia's autobiography when it came out many years ago, but may have to read it again. The movies was about cooking, but it was also about the strength of love and relationships. I will have to see it again. I have also started reading the cook book. I have Eleanor's copy with all of her notes. Just holding it makes me think of her, makes me miss her, and makes me feel like making some of those recipes could make me feel connected to her.

This weekend I followed it up with a rental movie that came out this summer. "Ramen Girl" was also a lot of fun. It was partially about how the love for your process come through in your cooking. Parts of the ideas presented were really moving. I will have to see if there is a Ramen restaurant somewhere in Metro Denver. It is not an award winning movie, but it is a fun one. If you rent it, be sure to watch the deleted and unused scenes. They create a very different tone and story line, one I think that would have been worth doing.

And I have a recipe, of course. How could I not have one for a post about cooking? It is one I found via reading the comments on the "Posie Gets Cozy" blog. She asked for suggestions on what to make for a potluck. It comes by way of the Sassafras Cafe Blog. This one was a winner. I think it might be gluten free, too.

Enjoy!


Big Sky Chicken-Salad Sanwiches
from Taste of South magazine, June/July 2009 issue
1/2 c slivered almonds
1/2 c chopped pecans
1/2 c pineapple tidbits, drained
1/2 c cranberries
1/2 c mandarin orange segments, drained
1/2 c mayonnaise
1/2 c honey mustard
1/4 c apricot preserves
2 c chopped cooked chicken

Combine nuts and fruit in a large bowl and set aside. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard, and preserves, whisking until combined. Add sauce mixture to fruit mixture, along with chopped chicken, tossing gently until combined. Spread mixture onto bread slices to make sandwiches. Serves 6.

No comments: