Friday, October 16, 2009

Pumpkin Party Invitations - Not for Whimps


I love Halloween - it's just so much fun! For many years we have celebrated by having a pumpkin carving party and potluck. It started out small many years ago; just our family with one or two other families. It has grown bigger every year. This year may be our largest party ever. Although we have a small glitch since the kids forgot to handout the invitations this week. We'll see what comes of it.

One of the parts I love most about it is making the invitation. Each year, just like the party, it gets bigger and more complicated, too. This year my inspiration started with a set of brushes that the House of 3 offered. I lingered a bit longer on their site and was drawn in by the Hof3 Haunted Dignbats. I'd never tried any of those before and had a lot of fun with them. Since the design was so two tone I had to jazz it up with some bling. I was thrilled when I found great paste on rhinestones for a reasonable price at Michael's. I was also inspired by the key fabs that one of the women made. I had considered making some myself, but found that the printable Shrinky Dinks were too expensive for the number of sheets that I would need. My idea morphed into a library pocket, cut out using my Cricket, stamped with a crow and embellished with tulle and rick rack. I then made tickets to go in the pocket. That needed some texture, too, so I added ribbon with colored staples on to each of them. I attached this onto some cards that had a preprinted background. I rally bought them as a stiff background and for the envelopes. I got a rockin' deal on them! Next, I created the back side with information about the party. I used the Hof3 Haunted Dingbats again and filled in the information using the Bleeding Cowboy font that you can download for free from dafont.com. I can't wait to see what people think of them. My dear friend Laura, who always recognizes and applauds hard work, was very complimentary. It made me feel good - Thanks for that, my friend! I'd love to see other people's Halloween cards, too.

No comments: