Thursday, February 14, 2013

The 1 Year Mark, Mardi Gras and The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Tuesday was a very full and fun day.
Ellie and Kohlton have been dating for an entire year - a pretty big deal. :)
We also had a fun Mardis Gras party at the Cure house - the Cures are always a party, but when they put one on officially, they are a blast! They served Red Bean with Ham Hocks and Rice, Jambalaya, rolls, a King's Cake and fun drinks. I had a non-alcoholic "Lava Lamp," a drink of sparkling cider with a shoot of blue jello mixed it.


During the school day I saved a little time at the end of each class to teach my students about Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras, Shrove Tuesday and Ash Wednesday. I shared with cool tilt frame video of Mardi Gras in Brazil.

"The City of Samba" (Tilt Shift Mardi Gras)




By the end of the school day on Wednesday I was all used up. I spent the evening watching, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower." I read some of the book when it was originally published and now want to read it again. Though the movie cannot capture everything in the novel, it was still an enjoyable movie. I especially loved the soundtrack and the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" segments. I used to go to the special showings were people dressed the part and took along props. It was a ton of fun.I'm thinking that Ellie and the other kids may need to have that fun experience.

I'm thinking that I need to add a few more songs to my 1980's playlist. Here's the music from the movie:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack:

1. The Samples - Could It Be Another Change
2. Dexys Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen
3. Galaxie 500 - Tugboat
4. New Order - Temptation
5. The Innocence Mission - Evensong
6. The Smiths - Asleep
7. Cracker - Low
8. Sonic Youth - Teenage Riot
9. XTC - Dear God
10. Cocteau Twins - Pearly-Dewdrops' Drops
11. Michael Brook - Charlie's Last Letter
12. David Bowie – Heroes

No comments: