Friday, August 21, 2015

The First Full Week of the School Year

The student's first full week of the school 2015-2016 year is finished, and I am exhausted, but happy.

Even though I have been teaching for more than 20 years, I think this might be one of the most difficult starts I have experienced. This year I am teaching four different subjects and all grades in my grades 7-12 school. I also teach in three different rooms and have an office in a temporary building outside that does not have any temperature controls. We also need to align everything we do to the IB standards. Two weeks ago I was not sure it would be possible. Now, I see that I can do it, but it will require very long days. I've worked 12-14 hours a day every day this week.

However, many of my students from last year have stopped by to greet me and check in. My 7th and 8th grade students are enthusiastic. Many of my high school students seem posed to have a successful year.

I'm working on getting into a groove where I don't have to stay so late to get everything done. I am hopeful, too, but exhausted. Thankfully, I love what I do.

No comments: