Thursday, October 30, 2008

Trick or Treat Street & Fun Halloween Links to Enjoy


Halloween is near and the end of our holiday frenzy is almost complete. My Halloween fun season seems to peak with our Pumpkin Carving Party & Potluck. The rest is just fun, but a bit more distant. Last night Ellie, her friend, Brandon and I worked Trick or Treat Street at my school. The various clubs set up booths around the school and invite the neighborhood kids in to get candy, play games, do a bit of coloring and hear a story or two. It is always a bit hit. This year the local credit union donated $200 worth of candy. That, along with what the kids from the school brought in meant that there was plenty of candy for everyone to have a large pile to take home. I think the high schoolers love it.

This evening is the Halloween party at Ethan's and Ellie's school. It has been more than a week of a meeting/event every single night, so our contribution to the potluck will be light. We made fun, edible eyeballs. I saw the recipe originally on foodgawker.com and followed the link to LaFujimama to find the recipe. The photo here is from her website. Ours are not as pretty, but the kids had a lot of fun making them.

I've also enjoyed a number of websites that I think are worth sharing:
Artsy Mama is at the tail end of her 13 days of Halloween. Her photos are inspiring, exciting and make me feel like I am a bit behind. It is worth following the link here and exploring a bit. I especially love her count down calendar;
Bakerella has a feature of wonderful cake balls. I've never done them,but I might just have to give it a try. I originally found it when checking out today's cooking link on ThePioneerWoman.com;
A fun virtually pumpkin carving site can be found by following this link;
Smashing Magazine usually has stuff for the graphic artist, but at this link you will find a whole host of computer wallpapers and background to upload. You don't even have to have much skill to get it to work. I picked the one from American Greetings with the pumpkins carved with holes. I love it, my students thought I should pick something more scary!
There are also lots of other fun ones. What ones can you introduce me to?

No comments: