Monday, August 13, 2007

120 Mile Benefit Bike Ride

They've done it again - the kids have shown me why I need to trust in them. I am at least learning to keep my mouth shut. This time I kept my worries mostly to myself, though my friends could read it on my face. Our team did a pledge ride a 120 miles long. When I heard that we would do this I had not actually expected many of our kids to be able to do it. However, half of the 22 riders completed the entire course, including Ethan. I had been interested to see how it would go since he had not been on his bike for a month due to his cast. At one point I think he wanted to give up. Several things pushed him on, not the least of which was his coach, Ryan.
But, I am ahead of myself. Let me back up and tell you how it all worked. The kids were asked to get pledges. It was a goal that each cyclist raise $500. The prize list was excellent. You could win anything from a pair of team socks (sounds dork, but they are actually pretty cool. I would like some!) to your team dues paid for next year (which includes a new uniform) to a new bike frame, expensive special components like wheels, gadgets to help you track your progress and so on. The top prizes included special custom made-to-fit bikes (worth $12,000). Ethan wanted that. He had hoped to raise $2,000 for that one. All things considered, I think he did pretty well. The fund raising aspect was more difficult for her my strong-willed, powerful girl also has a shy side.

At practice the cyclists shared their goals. Both of my kids wanted to go the who distance. I was proud of them for that. It would have been easy to say something smaller. However, I was a little surprised as well. The farthest Ethan had gone in one go was about 50 miles. Ellie had only ever gone about 25 in one day. I simply felt like cheering for them. It is wonderful that they still have the power of a dream and that the self-doubt voice has not edged that out.


On the day of the race we all met at 6:00 a.m. They were put into groups of similar ability riders. Each group had at least two adult riders. We had five aid stations set up to encourage the kids to rest, eat and rehydrate. Next time I think we need a few more aid stations. There were also three sag wagons who follow between the groups and picked up kids who were tuckered out. I was one of those drivers. The route went through neighborhoods, through farm country and into a few cities. The cyclists were very popular. It seemed that the cows and horses were happy to have a nice distraction. They sort of cheered in their own way.

Ellie got all of the way to within one mile of the third rest stop. This was the 65th mile. The group was intimidated by the mountain switchback that lay ahead of them. I think that if it had not been there, they would have kept on. I must admit that I would be put off as well. It is not that they can't do hills. In fact, that is one of Ellie's strengths, but she had already put in 65 miles and the temperatures were in the high 90's. They called for a ride and waited for me to pick them up. They did not realized I was already transporting another group who made it to 57 miles. My return would not be for about an hour. Kindly people in cars and on bikes stopped often to make sure they were okay. Upon reflection, Ellie wished she had rested before calling for a ride. In her heart she knew she could do that mountain. However, I think it was an excellent ride and a valuable lesson. Later, when she was exhausted she cried her way home for the fact that she had not gone farther. My heart broke for her sobs. I was so proud of her. I wished she could appreciate the accomplishment she made - I certainly did.

Ethan had a different path. When I arrived at aid station #3, the one on the mountain switchback, he looked tired but fine. Jo and Morgan looked like death warmed over. They were thinking about throwing in the towel and I understood why. Amazingly, they rested up enough that they peddled on. During a difficult part Ethan wanted to quit. His coach told him that section of road was too tight for a pick up. The only way he could get a pick up is if his tire exploded (as had happened to a few adults earlier in the ride). Coach Ryan even joked that Ethan had better not take out a pin and cause that explosion. This joking prod kept Ethan on the course for the rest of the time. There were many times when he wanted to quit, but did not. At the end of the race, exhausted as he was, he "high fived" Ryan for helping him see what he could do, just how far he could go! We all had a BBQ party and waited for the rest to roll in. Two friends, Jordan and Skyler, rode out to find them on the path, greet them (like you see in an old western movie) and ride them back in. The most amazing feat was the fact that Josh and Miles, both just 9 years old, finished the entire length. Bug bitten and tired we went home with a sense of accomplishment. Well, most of us did at least. A few were too tire to appreciate their accomplishments. They are already planning for next year. Ethan can't wait. Ellie says she is going to speed up that mountain!



1 comment:

Peg said...

Just AWESOME!!! Great job to them both!!!