Friday, September 21, 2007

Rejoining the Blogging World



I've been away for so long that it is hard to know where to begin. I guess it is best to begin with the idea that the signs of fall are beginning to appear and with it, a more consistent rhythm of life. One that will allow me to be home a bit more. The end of summer was a wonder, fun and exhausting whirlwind of biking, going to the mountains, and stuff like that. It has been and will continue to be made busy and unpredictable with that which comes when someone you love is in the hospital. My aunt has had a difficult time dealing with the deal of her beloved husband, Joe. He died in April. Her recovery will take a long time. But I will not elaborate so that she may still have her privacy. It seems that I am sort of in that Sandwich Generation spot, and have been for a few years now. I am learning to do it with some grace.




But on another note -




When I came home today my house smelled of fall, even though we are having near record heat with almost 90 degree days. My house smelled of the concord grapes that were lolling in a bowl on the dinner table. We have a small grape vine covered walk way on the side of the house. When they are ripe it is a contest between the squirrels and ourselves to see who will get to them. This year we got more than most years. The smell is enticing. I think it would make a wonderful new scent for the places that sell lotions and candles. Behind me was a gaggle of teenage boys, my son included, all reved up for a sleepover video game fest in honor of Ethan's 14th birthday. The kids are great, they all are looking forward to having a lot of fun and my biggest concern is whether I will have enough food with seven pizzas, 36 soda and enough chips to fill several grocery sacks. We also have two containers of ice cream (vanilla bean and mint chocolate chip) to go along with the pumpkin pies that Ethan wanted for his "birthday cake." Many kids have brought their gaming consoles and televisions. My basement room is stuffed with ten boys, two brave girls, five televisions and who knows how many gaming systems. I have relative peace that allows me the luxury of surfing blogs (my version of "vegging out.") I love the food blogs. Hogwash is always wonderful. As is Cooking with Amy. Her 9/14 entry has an enticing entry about wonderful sandwiches:


From Cooking with Amy 9/14/07

I'm always tempted to stop by Arlequin for a toasted cheddar, pear and bacon sandwich. The bread is crispy and crunchy, the cheese oozes and the sweetness of the pear is offset by the smoky saltiness of the bacon. Taking that sandwich as inspiration I decided to add mustard to my version. I was sure the warm spices including cinnamon, clove and cayenne in the mustard would really be delicious with the pear but I didn't want the intensity of bacon for this sandwich. After experimenting a bit, the combination I settled on was smoked turkey, white cheddar and pear. Smoked turkey is a good sandwich choice, it adds some heft and lean protein, and is healthier than ham or bacon.


I'm thinkin' I have to try this one. I also want to try and make the candy treat that I have pictured above. The base is a small square pretzel .The middle is a Rolo (chocolate covered Carmel) that has been placed on the pretzel and heated slightly in the microwave. Then you take a pecan and press it onto the top. Sounds simple enough and they are SSSOOOOO GOOOD!


Another fun thing is that not only is my craft room table finally cleared and they have fun stuff in the dollar spot at Target. I found items that I wanted when I saw them at the scrapbooking store for around $7-$10 per package for a mere $1 here. I had to have some. It was very satisfying to lay out the lovely letters. I am kind of a fontaholic, as I have been told. These sets cried out to go home with me. What could I do but buy as many as I could? Who knows yet what I will do with them. I also had to have two containers of felt flower shapes as well as the brads with fun designs on them. I am crazy for this stuff! Now I just need to make time to use some of it!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Tam!