Wednesday, November 28, 2007

And So Begins the Christmas Season at Our House






Right after Thanksgiving was over, my kids were ready to embrace all the fun of the Christmas season. I went down to the present closet and found wonderful 90% off purchased I made last January. (I love when I do that - what fun - two times over, at least.) I found three new Christmas music CDs that I got at Whole Foods, the fine organic grocery store here. I also found a few different crafting kits. One was for a photo advent calendar. It was a great idea, but too intense and needy. I cut mine up for another project I hope to tackle this evening. The other was for making paper ornaments. Those were such fun! One was easy to put together. The kit had rub-on words, fun stickers and other embellishments. The other was much more difficult. Ethan loved those. Those involved 20 circles that were folded in three places. It took a bit of figuring out, but we've got it now. I kept the directions so that we can make more with circles I cut out on my Cricut. You can see the finished products in the photo above. The down side was that the adhesive was worn out. It was a delightful opportunity to pull out my handy dandy mini stapler with colored staples. That solved the problem and made the stapler seem kind of festive. The next day Ellie and I made gingerbread cookies. I was amazed with how many we ended up with. We pulled out our cookie decorating stuff and borrowed some from my mother. I was thrilled to find that she had some silver dragees. They are hard to find and expensive these days. I am secretly hoping that she will let me keep them. My one disappointment is that I cannot find either of my beautiful copper snowflake cookie cutters. One year we cut out all kinds of them, decorated them with royal icing and my beloved silver dragees, along with edible glitter and hung them with ribbon in the windows. I will have to look some more to see if I can find them.

No comments: