Sunday, November 09, 2008

Trying to Use Brail SKills To Make My Daughter Happy Again




The Junior Cyclocross Championship race was on Saturday. The location at Chatfield Reservoir was wonderful, but we thought it was a little funny to have the championship and still have a full month of racing left to go. Anyhow, Ellie had spent the night at Arianna's house and had a wonderful, silly, fun time. Once they arrived at the race she got her game face on and focused on the race. Ethan went first. He got a good start, and a nice place in the starting line up since he got a call up. However, part way through the race a twig got in his front wheel in between he spokes and he went over. He lumped his way to the finish line, at times riding slowly and walking some of the way. I was proud him for finishing. I imagine that it had to have been tempting to quit the race and take a short cut back to where we were. The boy is just having a difficult season. I wonder if it is because he had Walking Pneumonia in August or if it is that he is growing so fast that he is gangely and awkward. Either way, I applaud his resolve and determination. It has to be hard crashing nearly every race. Ellie, on the other hand, did pretty good, coming in 4th overall, but still unhappy with her placing. All but one of the girls that beat her on a regular basis are a year older and will not be in her category next year. This time she beat the girl who is her same age. She is anxious to move up in the ranks.

By the time we got back to the car she was in a terrible mood, crossing her arms, grunting or ignoring you when you speak to her and generally brooding. I never did find out what was wrong. I was disappointed since Uncle Doug was spending the day with us. I wish she had not been so closed down. After the race we went to Grandma's and Grandpa's house. Mark and Lilia were already there. We had a big Scrabble tournament planned. Ellie loves Scrabble, but refused to play the first game. Towards the end she started to help Mark and he kicked our butts. By the second game she had snapped out of her funk and wanted to play. She was all excited to get the last "l" in the bag so that she could spell "elixir." Once we got down to three tiles we knew it was still in there. I got to draw two. She was so excited and hopeful for that "l" that I had to use what little Brail skills I could muster to make sure she got it. I put my hand in the bag, feeling the letters on the tiles and selected the two that did not feel like an "l". Everyone knew I was cheating,but they let me because we were all rooting for Ellie to get that word on the board. By the end of the game I kicked their butts, Ellie came in second and she was back to being the lovely girl I know and love, having kicked out the grunty that had taken her place for part of the day.

No comments: