Thursday, June 11, 2009

My Girl is the Colorado 2009 Junior Women 10-12 State Time Trial Champion


My, have we been busy. I am hoping that it will begin to feel like summer vacation some time soon. Last weekend we had a lot of important things happening, including the state junior championship. Going into it we knew Ellie had a good chance of winning. She has become a very strong, skilled rider. She had her eye on one other girl who had beaten her a few times at the TT series we did in the spring. We figured that Ellie would be first or second and that the gap between them would be something under 15 seconds apart. I did not get to see her race since I was in Loveland with Ethan and Ari at the Hammer In, a blacksmithing camp we do ever year. Dad took her to this race and took lovely photos. Coach Lawanna let Ellie ride the Orbea. That made Ellie feel like she could fly. In the end Ellie won by just over three minutes. In racing terms, that is HUGE! She was very excited. She came home with a nice medal and a championship vest. She was really rather humble about the whole thing and would not let us photograph her with them. I will persist and get one. I think she'll be glad for that later. She thinks that a lot of it has to do with the Orbea. I told her a great bike helps, but she supplied the power and the skill.

This weekend we head off to Glenwood Springs for the Road Racing championship. She has a good shot at that, too. Larr and Ethan will stay in town. Ethan is going to try out mountain bike racing at the Epic Single Track series in Winter Park. This first race runs up a black diamond ski run. Its crazy what some people find fun. I am proud of him for taking on this new challenge.

No comments: