Monday, June 01, 2009

My Kids Create Art for the Auction


Each year, Alpine Valley School has a silent auction to raise money. Each year I make jewelry. I am happy to report that it sells well. This year both of my kids decided that they needed to get in on the action.

Ethan forged and welded as many things as he could find time to make. We were surprised at how high they went for. His "Welcome" sign was the hottest of his items. It went for $30. So did the dog he made.

He loved the dog and would have been happy to keep it. He set the minimum bid pretty high. I was worried that it would not go. When I asked him about it he replied, "I'm not worried, but I do hope it sells. I stayed up very late and burned my arm making it. I think it is kind of cute. If he sells, I will make another one."

He also forged some hooks. He offered those at a reasonable price so that a kid could bid on one. His best friend's mom actually ended up with at least one of them.

He and I kept checking the bid sheets. I was thankful that everything sold. It does a kid's heart good to have someone who is not his/her parent value what they create.

Ellie and her friends made a fun, large stuffed monster they named "PEZ." Such love went into this fun guy.

The big thing we bid and won was this great robot lamp that Ari made. You can turn it on and it glows red. Like Ethan, Ari loved the thing he created, but was also happy to see it sell.

After lunch, while bidding was going on, lots of people tried their hand at the slack line. This is a nylon cord strung between trees. The goal is to walk on it like a tightrope walker. This is how Ethan broke his arm a few years back. Still, he enjoys giving it a try.



We also had a bit of rain. Ellie loves rain these days. Here's a silly and odd photo of her. She is trying to catch rain in her mouth. I think part of the fun is having a reason to wear those boots.

No comments: