Thursday, December 03, 2009

Sweet Dreams, Cupcakes and Cookies


On the Wednesday before Thanksgiving Larr and I went out for coffee at an early hour. Our usual place, Heidi's, was not open and the person making the bagels that day would only wave to us (Gonzo usually lets us in). So we tried another place that is a coffee shop and cooking school. That place shares their kitchen with "Happy Cakes", a cupcake only store. I really enjoyed munching on coffee cake, drinking my coffee and watching three young women make cupcakes. I admired their industrial mixers, especially the shiny red one. I loved watching them use their cookie scoops to measure out the batter, a delicate towel wrapped finger wiping away the batter that landed on the outside edge of the pan. That morning they seemed to be making Red Velvet cupcakes. I oogled the rack of spices and marveled at how quickly the cupcakes finished in a convection oven. I wished I would have time to return that day, but I did not. On the way to the car I stopped they their store front, pressing my face against the window like a child at a toy shoppe near Christmas. I spied lovely, full jars of colored sprinkles, glistening sugar glitter and dazzling dragees in several colors. I was smitten! I vowed to return soon with kids and camera in tow.

On a whim, Ellie and I returned yesterday. I was tempted to go home to get my camera first, but she could not wait, we had to go right then! We were enthralled. I got a close up look at the sprinkles. I thought she would be excited about that, too. However, she was taken by the sight of all of the different flavors. It was a tough choice to make. In the end I got a Whoppee Pie cupcake with marshmallow buttercream frosting (that's what sold me on that flavor) and she picked the Coconut & Almond cupcake. We also had a frosting "shooter" with sprinkles a plenty! We split both so we could each have some of the flavors. They were lovely and sweet.


This spurred Ellie on. She has always loved to bake. This visit set her on fire. She has decided that she wants to own a cupcake store when she grows up. She wants to have a cupcake bar where you can pick your own frosting, sprinkles, special toppings and cupcake flavor, then the person behind the counter will create it for you.

Much to my surprise she came up with this shop. It is lots of fun, but I would not have guessed that this would be her style. But then again, I can't seem to keep up with it. Her tastes are changing. A year ago she wanted a sports jersey for Christmas and refused to wear anything that did not include pants. Today we are headed to the store to buy tights to go with a skirt - go figure. Either way, it was fun to see her excitement.
alt=""id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5411240886025013634" />




Looking at all that led me to find fun packaging. I love and admire nice product packaging. Here's a company that has useful stuff and fun ideas. I especially love the idea of a soup exchange instead of a cookie exchange. You might have fun checking out the Think Garnish">Think Garnish website.
---------

Here's what I am making this afternoon. I am working on putting together a care package for Coach Bill who will be driving the team van to Bend, Oregon on Monday.

Swedish Pepparkakor (Spice Cookies)

3/4 cup Butter (1/2 butter, 1/2 Canola oil)
1 1/2 cup Sugar
1 Egg
1TBL Water
1/4 cup Molasses
Cream the above ingredients together.
3 cup Flour
2 tea. Baking Soda
1/4 tea Cloves
1/4 tea Ginger
1 tea Cinnamon
1/2 tea salt
Mix dry ingredients together well;
Fold into wet mixture. Form dough into small balls. Roll in
granulated sugar quickly and place 2" apart on a greased cookie
sheet. Refrigerate dough if it is too soft. Keep dough cool in order
to be able to handle it well.

Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Watch carefully, as they burn
easily. Remove onto paper toweling to cook. Makes 60 cookies.

From Aunt Lynn



No comments: