Tuesday, November 02, 2010

A Fish Hat for Ellie


I like to knit, a lot. During our trip to Wisconsin Ellie spied a fun book of knitting patterns called Hat Head. I decided to buy it and have the kids mark which designs they liked. I was surprised at what they picked out. Ellie wanted the "fish Hat" with a slight variation on the colors.

I cast on 96 stitches onto a size 1 needle and knit enough to make a curled edge, adding in one purled row to make sure the curling did not continue. Changing to size 4 needles, I then knit a few more rows and then added in the fish pattern from the book.

From that point on I deviated a bit from the instructions.My stripes were three rows wide (instead of two) and I used more colors. She wanted it extra long so it could be slouchy, as is the fashion.I think I made it 9" from the rolled rim to the point where I started the decreases. I finished it up with a lovely, dense pom pom that made using a pom pom maker tool.

If I make this pattern again I will modify the pattern to allow for at least one or two stitches between the pattern repeats. I had not noticed how it ran together until it was too late. Going back and looking at the photo in the book, I see he added those stitches to set them apart, but did not make those notes in the book. Ellie loves the hat and did not seem to care how the fish were so close to each other.

No comments: