Friday, February 11, 2011

A Raven Collage - Creating the Parts


I've had a real love for birds for a long time. In the last few years it has become focused on blackbirds, ravens, etc. I have also been very inspired by Geninne, an artist in Mexico.

Her work has prompted me to pull out the watercolors and make a collage with images of ravens.

I started out by looking up images of ravens online, both by looking at google images and in flickr.com. That led to a bit of careful sketching.


Next, I painted in a background. At that point I thought I was just making a painting, otherwise I would not have bothered with it. However, it was fun to do. :)

I did a raven, a nest and some text parts. I also typed out "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe in a nice "Jane Austen" font. I also found a few images of raven eggs with labels that had been photographed in a musuem. The hand typed labels were clearly done on an early model typewriter, just right for my project.

I then had color copies on card stock made. I wanted to try some experiments and did not want to risk messing up my originals.


Along the way I also found Laura Zindel Designs. I absolutely love her art. I'd love to have a few pieces, especially the bird and/or feather pieces.

No comments: