Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal Weddings



I fondly remember the last royal, that of Prince Charles and Diana. I was in my senior year. Even at that age the idea of being a princess with a fairy tale life was a pleasant dream. On that cold April morning in 1981 I roused myself from my warm, cozy bed at some unreasonably early house (most likely about 3:00 a.m., if I recall correctly) to huddle in front of the glow of the big screen on my mother's television. Wrapped in flannel, steaming cup of tea in hand, I took in the spectacle. It was such an exciting event that I did not mind missing those hours of sleep.



Now, so many years later, I still find myself drawn to that fantasy. I admit to watching the featurettes on the the woman who would make the wedding cake. I stole glimps of the possible wedding gown designs. Watched as palace staff debut the table settings for the wedding reception and overheard a chat with the company that would provide Katherine's tiara. I will even admit to being just slightly jealous of those who had the luxury to have "pajama and tea" parties to watch the wedding in live time. Of course I could have taken the day off from work, or gone to work in a sleep deprived state, but I decided against that. I settled for watching the highlight that were available. This time I watched the royal wedding I looked for signs of true love that I hope will carry the new couple through the difficulties that lay ahead of them. They certainly had a wonderful beginning!

You can view a wonderful set of photos by following this link.

No comments: