Friday, August 05, 2011

Art Camp Days 3-4 & The Maroon Belles

Each day at Anderson Ranch gets more fun for Ellie, just as I had hoped it would.

If Brittany lived near Ellie, they would be fast friends. The kind who really understands you and with whom you can be totally silly. What a give that it. For now they will have to be content with time together in class. Perhaps we can arrange get togethers in the future.


The silly girls swapped shoes and gave eachother sailor style tatooes with Sharpie markers. When Ellie and I went into Apsen for dinner people looked at her. She looked kind of street tough with her stomach muscles showing through her neon pink tank top, the buff arm muscles and her fake tatooes. One guy at the restuarant even asked if they were real - that cracked me up.

They've printed lots of stuff. Each day they make more shirts and posters. Here are just a few of the designs she has come up with. Some of them are collaborative projects with Brittany.










I love art supplies.


I spent a rainy Wednesday at the famous Maroon Bells. Luckily I came prepared with rain gear and time to wait out the rain.



I caught the bus from the Aspen Highlands to the Maroon Bells visitor center. During the day the road is mostly closed.
Each day at Anderson Ranch gets more fun for Ellie. She has made friends with many of the kids in the workshop. She and Brittany are like a match set. Brittany lives in Aspen for part of the year and in Maryland during the other months.



There is a family of marmots that live in the rocks near the bathroom. It is a sweet spot for them. I imagine they are very safe there, most of the time.


The chipmunks had a similarly sweet gig near the bus stop. They flitted around, busy eating and playing with each other.



I fell in love with these peaks. I waited and waited for the sun to light them up, but it refused. Still, they are lovely, even when stormy.



I knew the peaks would be beautiful, but the wildflower meadow was a sweet surprise.


Here too, I tried to imagine what my husband would notice. It was nice to hike alone. It allowed me to stop and gaze whenever I wanted to. It allowed me to notice small bits of texture, color and beauty. These tassles danced gently in the wind.


I loved the way these looked when dappled with rain drops.


These were wonderous, large and magnificant.

Wednesday night was cold and rainy. We switched up Ellie's sleeping arrangements again and have found a nearly perfect solution by setting up a cot in the tent. We had to take out the middle seats and put them in the spare then. This makes a comfortable bed for Ellie. She only wishes it was warmer. A storm rolled in and stayed for a few hours throwing down tons of rain and sounding off lots of thunder. The noise in my tent was intense.

On Thursday I was pretty exhausted from the storm. My plan to photograph the beautiful houses in Apsen made way to hanging out in the Anderson Ranch library where I did some work, took a nap in a comfy chair and relaxed. In the afternoon I went up to Woody Creek to see an art show of a man that we met at breakfast.

His show was at the Wc3 (Woody Creek COmmunity Center) which was also a nice place for a quiet lunch of bombay curried beef. It was a bit of a drive showing a more pastoral side of Aspen. It is worth the effort to see the lovely houses, the fields of horses and a very friendly part of the Apsen culture. If you are there you might also peek your head into the Woody Creek Tavern, made famous by the likes of Hunter Thompson of Gonzo Journalism fame.

No comments: