Friday, August 12, 2011

IKEA in Denver


I never thought that we would get an IKEA store in Denver. Afterall, part of what makes it affordable it that the original stores were next to the boat docks, thus cutting out the need for a middle man. However, one opened in Centennial in late July. Ellie and I were excited to check it out. We've heard about the great deals, and wanted to see them for ourselves.

Originally Ellie was going to go and camp out at the store for the opening with Ariana and Carrie. The first 38 people got a free couch. The next 100 people got a very nice sitting chair and the next 500 people got an envelope with at ticket for something, such as a 50% discount on a purchase, or free lunch, etc. There were reports of people driving up from New Mexico and down from Wyoming, camping out days before the opening. Online there were videos of people going crazy and hurting each other at other openings. I was glad when the plans were changed.



I thought it would have died down since that was several weeks ago, but it was still a mob scene. We arrived at just the right time, hoped on an elevator and went upstairs for lunch. The line was long and winding, but it went quickly. We were determined to give it a go and check out the store. The lunch was reasonable and good. I had Swedish Meatballs with mashed potatoes and gravy. Ethan had spinach and cheese crepes. Ellie had a buffalo chicken and veggie wrap.

After lunch we proceeded to do a bit of shopping. We left from the cafe and wondered into the store. It let out in the baby and little kid section. We quickly found that we were moving against the flow of traffic. Soon we spotted the arrows on the floor. I reasoned that just around each corner it would let up and we could wander, that was never the case. We went against the flow the entire time.

The store did have lots of cool stuff. I think my favorite area was the lighting section. I found a few nice frames for the pieces I created at Anderson Ranch. I also picked up some Swedish candy, a few drinks and a messenger bag which I will jazz up before using it on a regular basis.

It was worth my time to go, but I don't think I will be back anytime soon. I had big crowds and that placed is packed. I also don't care for the whole directional element of the store. Ellie wanted to go back and get a mushroom lamp, but there was no direct route. You had to go through the maze of departments to get anywhere. I will be interested to see how long is it so busy.

No comments: