Monday, September 19, 2011

A Date with My Husband

It was a really lovely weekend, one of the best I've had in a while. I am pretty sure this might be my favorite time of year. The weather is mild enough to enjoy being outside without overheating or getting too cold. I
On Sunday morning Larr and I had brunch at my favorite fancy restuarant, The Briarwood Inn, located in Golden. I had not been there in a very long time.

It was so nice to have some uninterupted time to just be together.

The meal started off with an offering of many drinks and beverages. I opted for orange juice and Earl Grey tea. Larr simply had coffee. Next came the pastries. I think there much have been around 20 little bites to share. The French orange macaroon was my favorite, followed by the flaky, light puff pastry with chunky apple filling. Those were accompanied by a nice serving of fruit salad. Really, I could have stopped there, but more food arrived. I had prime rib and potatoes. Larr had a smaller bit of prime rib, an Eggs Benedict with a nicely poached egg and potatoes. Afterwards we wondered around the building, admiring the beauty. I really liked the tavern section and plan to return some day to have a nice bowl of their French Onion soup. I think it is fun to sample it as often as I can. They are never the same.

On the way home we stopped by the garden center to have a look-see at what is on sale. Planting this time of year is a bit of a crap-shoot, but generally safe, unless we get a sudden heavy storm. The advantages are that the plants are on sale at a significant discount ($3 each, instead of $8-$10) and the roots will have a chance to get established before spring arrives. That should mean happier plants next year. I will detail what I got and planted in another posting.

Once home, we sat on the back porch and talked more. We also visited Gorham, the visiting neighbor kitty, that drives our kitties insane with jealously. I am pretty sure that Moxy and Toby have set up a watch to keep track of when she in the yard. Yesterday evening Toby was on the look-out even after it had been dark for a long while. On one hand, I feel a bit bad that they are so jealous and upset. On the other hand, they do seem to like having a mission. I did have a few chores that I should have gotten done. I put them off in favor of good weather. I can clean closets when it is raining outside.

That evening we were happy to greet Ethan when he returned from his three day adventure to Lake McConaughy in Nebraska with the Sea Scouts. (He jokes that since we live in a land-locked state perhaps it should be Lake Scouts, or maybe even Harbor Scouts.) He had been part of a four man crew on a sail boat. It was foggy, rainy, cold and interesting to him. He picked up on what needed to be done easily. They also practiced many essential skills like saving a man overboard, piloting the ship, putting out a fire that starts on the ships, etc. He had a good time and looks forward to going again. I am thrilled that he has such adventures.

No comments: