Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Helmet Liner for Kathy and More Jane Austen - Oh, Emma!

Coach Kathy is such a wonderful and generous person. I tried to give back to her whenever I can. She love hot, neon pink and I thought she needed a wool helmet liner to go with her neon pink helmet.

Alas, I could not find neon pink 100% superwash merino wool. I got as close as I could with a nice pink and a reasonable purple; they were not what I had hoped for, but it was as close as I could get.
I could have gone with acrylic, but that would not have been as warm as wool. She received it gladly and says that she will wear it during her bid at the Cyclocross World Championship this Sunday in Kentucky.

Here's how I made it:

2 balls of Cascade superwash Merino DK Wool
Size 1 double pointed needles
Size 1 16" circular needles
Size 3 double pointed needles
Size 3 16" circular needles


Cast on 96 of the main color.
Rows 1 Knit the row without joining. Straighten yarn on the needles to be sure will not be twisted once joined
Row 2 *K2 P2* to end. Place a marker.
Rows 3-10 *K2P2* (continue this until the ribbing is how you like it. Mine is about 1'.)

Change to size 3 circular needles. K1, add 1 stitch, K49, add 1 stitch (100 stitches.
Continue stockinette stitch until the hat measures 7.5", creating patterns that please you.
K 1 row, adding markers every 10 stitches.

Begin Crown Reductions =
Row 1 *K2t, K9*
Row 2 *K2t,K8*
Row 3 *K2t,K7*
Row 4 knit stockinette
Row 5 *K2t,K6*
Row 6 *K2t,k5*
Row 4 knit stockinette
Continue until you are down to 9-11 stitches, draw threads through all live stitches. Thread the yarn through the hole to the underside of the hat. Pull tight and weave in ends. Finished length of hat should be 8"-8.5".
---------
I think I am nearly finished with my Jane Austen inspired movie fest. I left off with "Emma" which I think I like best. I watched the version with Gwenth Paltrow. She is a wonderful Emma. I am add "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" into the mix, too, though it is not strictly a Jane Austen film.







No comments: