Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Cooking with my kids, "The Hundred Foot Journey" + Rio Muffins Recipe

Last night I went to see "The Hundred Foot Journey." It is the story of a young Indian boy whose family opens an Indian restaurant in France. The young man, Hassan, has a rare talent for cooking and a love for the process. The movie is about how he blossoms into a remarkable chef in adulthood. It is also about making connections with those who you love, and memories of the past, through food. It was a wonderful movie. I will have to buy it once it comes out on DVD. I have included the trailer below, should you like to view it.

I am thankful that I have been able to create similar connections with my own kids. Ethan loves to cook. Ellie loves to bake and make desserts. She is rapidly picking up cooking as well. It is gratifying to watch them work their own magic in the kitchen; it is wonderful to see how they imbue their personalities in the foods they create.

Ethan collects food, spice and recipes where ever he goes. When he went to Jamaica when he was 15, he brought back a suitcase half full of spices and candy. When he was working construction, he picked up a few great recipes from a few of the people he worked with. One of them, Rio Muffins, has become a family favorite. In fact, when Larr was making a calendar list of things Ethan needed to get done while he is at home, Larr listed "make Rio Muffins" every day. I've shared that recipe below.


Ellie loves to bake. She especially loves to make beautiful cakes. If you read my blog on a regular basis, you will have seen some of her recent, amazing creations. I am always eager to see what she will create next. I am so thankful to be able to witness her creative journey. I enjoy buying tools and supplies so that she has many options at the ready.

Ellie also appreciates a well presented meal. Sometimes this inspires me to take more care with presentation than I might do when I am more rushed, busy or distracted.

I am also thankful that both of my children have well defined palettes and that they can give me reliable, specific feedback on recipes that I try out. I love trying new recipes and so there are many opportunities to refine, modify or adapt recipes. Larr likes to eat, but he says that food is food and he rarely offers suggestions.

The movie also made me weep a bit. I found myself in the father's shoes, watching and struggling a bit with letting our young ones move on into adulthood. I am happy for them, but sad for my lose.


------------
Preparing Bacon in the Oven

Line a baking sheet with foil.

Arrange the bacon slices on the foil and place the baking sheet on the center rack of a cold oven. Turn the oven on to 400°F.

Come back 15 to 20 minutes later. The timing on the bacon has to do with how thick the bacon is and how crispy you like it to be. As soon as the bacon is golden brown, remove it from the oven.
-----------

Rio Muffins

1 English Muffin, lightly toasted
Raspberry Jam
2-3 pc. Crispy Bacon
1 slice Cheddar Cheese (we prefer the sharp cheddar for this recipe)
1 Sunny Side Up or Fried Egg
Yellow Mustard, to taste

While the egg is cooking, put a generous amount of raspberry jam on the top muffin and yellow mustard on the bottom muffin. Place the egg on the bottom muffin. Top with the cheese and bacon. Place the top muffin with raspberry jam on top and enjoy right away.


-----------















No comments: