Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ellie's Day with Grandma Eleanor



Ellie's day with Grandma Eleanor was perfect as could be. I am so thankful for that. I hope that once Eleanor is sick, Ellie will remember the day with fondness. We started out at Mimi's Cafe and had a wonderful (albeit noisy) breakfast. We went all out. We had juice,Ellie had hot chocolate with real whipped create, and we had tea. Then we ate enough that none of us needed to eat again until dinner time. Eleanor got the stuffed french toast with a nice berry topping. I got the same, but without the berries and potatoes on the side. Ellie got Belgium waffles with lots of stuff on the side. She love bacon and ended up eating every piece that made its way to the table.

Next up was putting up a few Halloween decorations, including Guy, Grandma Eleanor's scarecrow. This was the first year that Ellie was big enough to bring it upstairs on her own. Then we carved pumpkin, or rather, Ellie carved two pumpkins and I carved one. Eleanor was happier just watching and admiring instead of carving. I think we might have worn her out at that point. After I was done carving I whipped up a Spiced Pumpkin bread with a maple cream cheese ripple through the center. Ellie declared it the best pumpkin bread ever and asked that we have it on Thanksgiving. Don loved it, too. I will post that recipe as soon as I have time to make it into a nice little recipe card.


The last thing we did was play an intense game of Scrabble, Ellie's new favorite game. She asks to play EVERY time we go to Grandma Eleanor's house. She usually ends up winning. It was a tough game, I'll tell you! We had a blast. By the time we went home Ellie and I were pooped out, too. It was a great way to spend the day!

No comments: