Friday, October 03, 2008

Hello, Cupcake & Cats




Book faires are dangerous places, especially for me. When I was little my mother would let me buy one thing each time we had a book faire at school. I would wonder around and around, trying to decide which one thing I would take home, which book would be my treasure for a while. That same feeling strikes when I walk by the displays. This week has been a test of my determination to not spend money. In order to support our library and their need to get new books, I took each of my classes to the book faire. I took a turn or two around just to see what was there. Contented, at first, that I was not tempted by anything I was not worried about visiting five more times. The second time around I picked up Dewey: The Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World. I'm a sucker for stories about pets. each time we would visit, I would read a bit more. I think I got to page 40. I am tempted to buy that book, but I think I will wait and check it out instead. On another turn around I spied the cookbook table. And then I saw it, an amazing book about cupcakes. Now, I am no cupcake queen. However, my sister is the queen of cute food. I thought about buying Hello, Cupcake for myself. I thought about buying it for my sister. I have decided, at least for now, that perhaps my kids are too old for such cute food, but it still looks fun. In a weak moment I bought it for my sister as a Christmas present. I figured she would love it and I could look at it until I wrap it. My mom and I are actually going to do it together. I think it would be really fun to gather the various tools and candies so that she could give it a go right away. My mom LOVES themed presents, so I think it will be a blast!

But, I am still struggling. The book faire is in the library for one last day and I am STILL tempted to buy myself a copy. Indeed, now that I have begun to look at it closer, I think I might actually NEED this book. Or, maybe Ellie needs this book. She LOVES to make cupcakes and she is very artistic. This could be her first cookbook... Hmm, the book faire is open until noon. I will have to give this some thought.

No comments: