Thursday, March 12, 2009

In Need of a Bit of Diversion...


For the last three or four weeks I have had a nagging headache, sitting on the back of my brain like a monkey clutched to the peanut vendor. What with the funeral and the upcoming final project for a class I was taking, I could not escape stress. By 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday I was finished. I checked over my final project and sent it in. The funeral and all that goes with it was complete. I felt, very suddenly, like I was a marionette released from its strings - exhausted- more so than I had expected. By Wednesday I have developed a small little fantasy where I would pick up something for dinner (not made by me) and a few movies. We would enjoy each other's company, the take out food and some movies. I picked out a few. The reality was quite different, but at least I did start a movie or two. I watch "Happy Go Lucky" because it had been nominated for so many awards. I was not sure why it showed up there. The acting was fine, but the story left some to be desired. The movie I finished today was the one I enjoyed. That would be "The Duchess" starring Keira Knightly.

It started a bit slow, but then drew me in. It is the true story of Georgiana Spencer, The Duchess of Devonshire. She was a lovely, interesting woman with a smashing sense of fashion and a tragic life. The story was moving and the film is worth watch just for costumes alone. It is not a feel good movie, but one where you can loose yourself in thinking about the time period. Next up I am looking for something a bit more upbeat, but not too stupid as so many of those films tend towards.

No comments: