Saturday, March 06, 2010

Finally a Teen - Ellie turns 13!


Here's to my special girl who turns 13 today.

Dear Ellie,

I love who you are becoming. Who could have imaged how you would change from this time last year. Last March I haunted every Target store in the area to buy you that oh-so-desirable men's XXL Avalanche hockey jersey. This March we are on the hunt for the perfect party dresses, shoes and an occasional hair accessory.


I appreciate your dry whit and your ability to pull off a joke with a straight face. I love how I see my own mother in you- your love for shoes, coats, shopping, your consideration of others, etc. I love how you are a peacemaker; I appreciate and respect your ability to find a way to make people in every kind of group feel noticed and included, usually. I love your stories of self reflection, like your story about how when you were little you saw sparkly rainbow rocks in the trees and everything was a big, wonderful adventure. I marvel at your strength and conviction - may you have that your entire life - it will get you places and keep you sane. I appreciate your stubbornness (even though it is hard to parent)for it will serve you well, too.

Here's to your journey to becoming an incredible young woman. It will be an exciting,difficult and meaningful journey.

Love you with all my heart,
Mom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.