Sunday, June 20, 2010

Lirbrains Do Lady GaGa and Roasted Cauliflower Recipe

This is what it means to not feel tired - I think I had forgotten. It is the first summer in 16 years where I don't have small, dependent children, am going to grad. school, teaching a summer school type program or have a very sick in-law. And I have to say, it is wonderful. I was totally popped each morning for the first two weeks of summer break, but now I feel refreshed. I have redesigned and planted a section of my garden, kept up with my online teaching, worked on some curriculum, am organizing photos from last year so that I can finally work on that digital scrapbook and hung out with The Girl. I think she is getting rejuvenated, too. I don't even have much laundry to do (Yeah!)I'm even almost ready to prep for some quilting!

Here's some fun:

Here's a quick and easy dish that I made to go with our Lemon Garlic Talapia that we had for dinner yesterday. Even Larr, who does not like cauiflower, liked it.

Roasted Cauliflower

1 head cauliflower
4 cloves garlic (optional)
2 teaspoons olive oil (approx.)
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

2. After removing the exterior leaves, rinse and pat dry your head of cauliflower. Trim the stem, and chop cauliflower into bite-sized florets. But, the florets and stems should be cut into roughly the same-sized pieces to ensure even roasting.

3. Toss the florets into a a large bowl or big baggie. Sprinkle the olive oil, salt, and pepper over the florets – then toss to coat them evenly. Place these on a large baking dish. The dish should be large enough to spread the cauliflower into a single layer (we used a 9 1/2 x 13 pan).

4. Carefully use the side of a large chopping knife to smash four whole cloves of garlic. Once smashed, the cloves should easily slide out of their papery exterior. Place the smashed cloves in the baking pan, and place the pan into the oven.

5. Cook the cauliflower for approximately 20 to 25 minutes, until they are softened, aromatic, and browned along the edges. I would recommend checking the cauliflower after 15 minutes and shaking the pan to prevent the florets from sticking. Additionally, you may wish to add a little more olive oil at this point to prevent sticking.

6. Remove pan from oven, serve, and enjoy! We really enjoyed this just as it is written here, but you could also add a few spices, some sesame seeds, sliced almonds, etc.

No comments: