Sunday, October 17, 2010

Planting Bulbs for Spring


(photo by nobuflickr)

When we first moved into this house 17 years ago it had a wonderful, magical garden. Almost every year the very first crocus shows it purple head on Ellie's birthday. It is like a little gift. But, due to having kids, drought and grad. school, the original garden has dwindled. This summer I've started replanting it.

Last weekend, even though it was a balmy 80 degrees, I thought of next spring as I stood taking in the myriad of bulbs that could be planted. In the end I picked up lots of crocus, some dwarf iris and a number of different Alliums. I spent the late afternoon planting them in clusters, little groups of a variety of color and size. It made me smile to think about what it will look like as they peek through the snow during the cold, grey days of March.

No comments: