Saturday, May 14, 2011

Small Joys on a Saturday Morning



It is a wonderful morning here in Edgewater. I awoke to the chorus of birds that strike up conversation every morning - what a cheerful sound to be bathed in. After lounging and chatting with my husband we got up to get breakfast out. I pass by the stove that was quietly cleaned for me by my husband as part of a Mother's Day gift for. (It is such a nice thing to cook on a clean stove.)

The clouds hung low and the air was cool, whispering a promise for rain later in the day, as we walked to the garage. To the side I admire the sound of my tiny pond as it gurgles away. It too was cleaned out and brought into season by my husband who knows how much I love those little things (and dread the stinky clean up of the thing.) We headed out to Starbuck with a gift card my sister had given to me. We had to scoot as a 5k fundraiser run will be taking place in our neighborhood. The streets and alley entrances were due to be closed very soon.

With breakfast sandwiches and warm drinks in hand we pick up the conversation from earlier in the morning. Larr is preparing to go to Maryland on Sunday to be part of the thesis defense panels at school similar to ours. I talk about the challenge of gathering eight images that I will put in the class folder for the art workshop I will be attending this summer. With such a vast cache of image types and images, how to I choose? Across the way we gaze upon crews of volunteers who are planting at least fifty new trees. My hand rests on the brand new Fleet Foxes CD, "Helplessness Blues." I am pleased because I know Ethan will be happy to hear it. Just the other night we had been wondering when the Fleet Foxes would come out with new music.

Our weekend mornings are usually early and busy. It is nice to have a more calm pace to set off the weekend. The busiest and most stressful part of the school year is nearly behind up and I am ready to embrace a new cadence for how I spend my time. Summer break is just a few weeks away.

No comments: