Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Mount Evans Hill Climb Colorado State Championship - What a Difference a Year Makes

Oh, what a difference a year makes.

For many years, or perhaps for all of the years that Ellie has been racing, her coaches say she is a real hill climber. When she was much younger, it was much easier for her. She assumes it was because she weighed so little. When she was 12, it changed because she had changed. It was much harder, but she still did well. By 13, the year when I think she was suffering burn-out, she hated it. Ellie raced because it was a team required race. In the past I made sure that we went to the practice rides up the mountain. This year she did not want to do that and I did not make her.

Driving up the day of the race I think she was feeling some dread, looking forward to having it over. After all, it was a required race again this year. I was working the race so we had to show up three hours before her race. It was 6:00 a.m. when we arrived at the base of the mountain. She hung out, waited a little, chatted with other junior racers, and then raced. I was driving the sag (a van that follows behind the riders to pick up anyone who is not going to finish the race, or who has mechanical issues) so I could not be on the starting line to cheer her on. I love seeing my strong, beautiful girl in the line to start. I love a chance to cheer her on. I am not sure if she notices it or not. She is in "the zone." Due to driving sag, I also did not get to see her finish. I was behind a young girl who was inching her way up the mountain when I saw Ellie whiz by on her way down the mountain. That took me by surprise for several reasons: 1. In the past she has not wanted to ride down the mountain because it eats up the break pads, 2. It is easy to get out of control when riding down hill on a steep hill for 11.5 miles, 3. She was smiling. Smiling? I wondered about that the most. Was she happy because she had the hill climb behind her until this time next year, was it because she had done well? Later, while driving home, I asked her about it. She was smiling because this year it was a pretty fun race, she said. Hum, imagine that - she was smiling because she was having fun. I had not even considered that possibility.

After the race was over and I had completed my duties, we went to the after race party to wait for podium and chat with friends. I also took the opportunity to pet a few dogs. Ellie was happy with third place. Marta, who won, is second in the nation and Jenny, who was second, is a great hill climber.

During the drive home I looked at my contented girl and asked her about the race, as is my habit. She said that it was pretty fun and much better than last year. Again, I was surprised. I told her that her coach still thinks of her as a good hill climber and that the main difference this year was her attitude. We had a good discussion about how much impact your attitude has towards how you will perform. It was a great way to end that event.

No comments: