Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Ethan's New Beanie

I recently made a new beanie for Ethan. It was a pleasure to knit up using Malabrigo yarn.


He wanted a Coyote Tan color. I could not find that, but this was so much more lovely than a solid color would have been anyway. Once it was done, he was very happy with it. He took it camping on Wednesday as he heads up to the Book Cliffs near Grand Junction to go camping with Scott and James.


I cast on 104 stitches onto size 3 circular needles. After doing a 2x2 ribbing for about 2", I switched to size 5 circular needles to knit the rest, until I got to the crown. Once there I went back down to size 3 double pointed needles. I was extra careful to make sure that there were no holes in the top of the crown. My knitting has improved a lot in the last year or so.

I think Ethan worries about loosing or wrecking the things I make for him. I told him that I would rather the hat come home with some small holes from use around a camp fire or from snagging in a tree than to have it sit on the top of his dresser unused. I believe that made him feel more comfortable. My hope is that it will help keep him warmer on these cold winter night camping in the dessert.

No comments: