Monday, January 27, 2014

Of Sailors, Dogs, Doughnuts, Pancakes and Brussel Sprouts

On Friday Ethan received an email from the Tall Ship folks inviting him to set sail with them next week. It was very exciting and much sooner than any of us had expected. As directed, he called in to the office to get any last minute instructions. It turned out that they are short handed so Ethan will be flying out to California on Friday, taking a train and taxi to Ventura and beginning to crew on Saturday. That day he will be part of a mock battle. Friday night he is renting a small sailboat in the same harbor. The few plans I had for the weekend were set aside so that I could help Ethan by making him parts of an 18th century sailor's costume. I will share those details with you as soon as I get the vest completed.

Saturday was a glorious day. Ethan spent it making a marlin's spike with his Grandpa Don in the wood shop. I spent most if it sewing, but I did take a break to take the dog to the dog part. That happens most every day. Remmie is always happy to go. He knows the way and starts to vocalize as we get closer.
On Sunday I worked on the vest some more, but took another break to go to the park again. This time Ellie and Kohlton were with me. They took this selfie that I think is super cute, but I am not thrilled that they do not have helmets on. They promised that they were only at the park and would not actually go on a ride without the helmet.

Later in the day the kids and I went to VooDoo Doughnuts. They are not actually open yet, but open for a few days at a time for 24 hours to get the kinks worked out of making doughnuts at this altitude. The original stores are all in Portand, Oregon. They have all kinds of funky doughnut flavors, including a Voodoo Doll raised doughnut that has raspberry filling (blood) and a stick pretzel stake through the heart.
The first time they opened a few weeks ago, people waited in line for hours to get in. I think it only took us about 30 minutes to get in. It is kind of a funky place.
I had a maple bar with strips of bacon on the top. I also had a Mexican chocolate doughnut that had a spicy kick to it. The kids seemed to like the candy and sugary breakfast cereal or cookie covered donuts.
It was fun, but I don't think I will wait in line so long next time. I think things will calm down once they are open for a while.

------------------

I also made a few good recipes this weekend. Here's what I made:

I've been searching for a good pancake recipe for a while. A long time ago Larr gave me a small book of pancake recipes. Many of them are good, but I can't seem to find the tiny book - bummer. We had this one this morning and really enjoyed them.

Pancakes
via:modified from a recipe found at Allrecipes

3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoons lemon juice or white vinegar
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Butter for the pan (or cooking spray)


Combine milk with vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to "sour".

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk egg and butter into "soured" milk. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and whisk until lumps are gone.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side.
--------

We are also eating a lot of brussel sprouts these days. I wanted to jazz things up a bit so I took what looked like a good recipe and added to it. My husband and I thought they were great. Too bad that the kids were not here to have any of them.

Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Maple Chili Glaze, Almonds and Dates

1 lb. Brussel Sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
Olive Oil
Sea Salt
1/4 cup Butter, melted
2 TBL. Maple Syrup
1/4 tea. Brown Sugar
1/4 tea. Chipotle or Ancho Chili powder or flakes
1/8-1/4 tea. Northwoods Fire Spice* or Liquid Smoke
1/2 cup Almonds (sliced or slivers)
1/4-1/2 cup Dates, chopped

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking pan with foil or parchment
Toss the brussel sprouts with just enough olive oil to coat them.
Spread them out on the baking pan. Lightly salt, if desired.
Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until tender.

While the brussel sprouts are roasting, make the glaze. Melt the butter in a small sauce pan. Add in the maple syrup, brown sugar, chili powder and Northwoods Fire or liquid smoke. Stir to mix. Turn off the heat.

Once the brussel sprouts are tender, place them in a serving bowl. Drizzle the glaze over the brussel sprouts and stir to coat. Add in the almonds and dates. Stir once again to distribute the almonds and dates.

This is nice served warm or cold.

No comments: