First thing you should know, this post is incomplete, as is the art that I am featuring in this post. This post is a bit about the work flow for the new family portraits that I am creating for the family. Last time I went to Anderson Ranch Art Center, I created portraits of each of us. I was very cool to do that. I decided that I would have another go at it. I thought it would be fun to start a tradition like that. I had expected to use color photos (of each of us and some of the objects that are important to each person, some textures and some words) but once I saw one of the samples that Mia shared, I was smitten and captivated. I decided that I needed to give it a go. I decided to ditch my signature style and go for it. Afterall, I went to the workshop to be with other artists, to push my own style and add to what I do. Where better to dump your signature style and try something new. It was exciting and very scary!
Here's the encaustic of Beau that motivated me. It is by Mia:
I began with images that I converted to black & white.
Then I added layers of medium (bee's wax and Damar Resin) then layers of color. After fusing those together, I added some wax pigment. Wax, fuse, pigment, remove some wax, fuse, wax; wax on, wax off.
As you can see, I have way more color than you see in Mia's sample. Color is just part of me. I am working on making my portraits more subtle.
During our class critiques, one person suggested that I could let go a bit, scrape them off and start again. You see, it is possible that I am just a little too tied to my art; perhaps I need to let go a bit. I might do that, and I might not. I asked Ellie about it. She suggested that I keep these and make another set. Perhaps that is the right answer. She pointed out that we could take new portraits where each person is looking forward. Perhaps. Perhaps. I would like to have used photos that are tied to a moment, an experience. But a portrait might yield more satisfying results.
At one point I was super-tempted to add some words to the portraits, but I have not done it. I even discussed it with the others in the class. I have come to the thinking that the words would distract from the portraits. One person suggested that I could add the words to the edges of the portraits. I may do that. However, Ellie suggested that a sample, flat black might be a great way to tie the image to the color. I put some black tape on the edges and was confirmed that it was the right answer.
My gosh, I am so lucky to have a girl who has such a good artistic sense are part of all of her wonderfulness.
via: Deliciously Sprinkled (We modified the recipe)
1 box (15.25oz) vanilla cake mix
1 box (3.4oz) vanilla INSTANT pudding mix, dry
1 cup vegetable oil
½ cup milk
1 cup sour cream
3 large eggs
Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line (2) 12 count muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
Using an electric or stand mixer, mix the cake mix, vanilla pudding,oil,milk,sour cream and eggs until smooth.
Pour cupcake batter into the cupcake liners (about ¾ the way full). Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before frosting.