Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Of Moose, Flowers, A Mill and Mountain Passes + A Fish Taco Recipe

On Saturday morning Larr and I happen to be in just the right place to see two moose enter and swim across a lake over at Officer's Gulch neat Cooper Mountain. It was very cool and exciting. Larr had never seen moose in the wild. We are curious if they swam or walked across the lake. When they reached the other side the male moose waited for the female moose to get fully on shore before he climbed onto the shore. I assume he was making sure that she was safe. We might have missed it if it were not for two men who were on another part of the shore of the lake. They had a clear view of the moose walking towards the lake and motioned for us to look that way.

After that excitement we drove over to Vail Pass and drove over Shrine Pass. It was a glorious day for wild flowers. We had to stop and take a bunch of photographs. We also thought a lot about Larr's mother, Eleanor. She would have been so happy to have been with us today.

I also love to look at the trees, their many shades of green and the abundant pine cones that cluster at the tops of many trees. It is a silly thing to love, but I love it anyway.

We even came across what might have been an old homestead.

We came out in Red Cliff, stopped for a great lunch at Mango's and then headed back towards the Breckenridge. We drove through the town and kept on going, taking in Hoosier Pass and the Monarch Mill.

The weather at the top of the passes is completely different from the weather down in town. In Breck it was a comfortable, sunny 78 degrees. At the top of Hoosier Pass I had to put on my coat; it felt like an afternoon in mid-fall. There was thunder in the distance while it rained hard where we were.
Looking out over the valley Larr spied Magnolia Mine, a place he had never been to or documented, so we had to check it out, of course. I decided that I did not need to walk in the cold rain to see a mine, so I hung out in the car knitting. Larr, however, was thrilled.

We happened to go over Hoosier Pass a second time on Sunday and what a difference a day makes.

You see, Larr and I spent a few days in the Breckenridge area; we went over many of the local passes and continental divides. We drove up via HWY 285, stopping at the summit of Kenosha Pass where I was reminded of how much I love to go camping. Lots of memories flooded back as we drove those roads.

We then went up Boreas Pass. I was a bit afraid at the early part as the road was very thin and we were on the cliff side of things. Thankfully, we only encountered a few vehicles that we needed to make space for. By the time we got near the top it was raining and threatening to turn into small hail or snow. There are several sets of bikers riding down the pass. It looked like a lot of fun. In a very Larr fashion, we had to explore some of the roads off of the pass that he had never been to. We were rewarded with the sight of a old shovel on one of those small roads. My husband is so talented; he is able to photograph everyday object and find the beauty in them.
We have many wonderful memories and photographs from Boreas Pass. It rained there, too, but that meant that Larr was able to photograph what the forest looks like after it rains.
I think it is fair to say that we have done a thorough job of exploring the passes in the Breckenridge area. It was nice to get away even if for only a few days. It was our first childless trip in most likely 21 years; it felt strange to take in the beauty without having them be part of it.

Fish Tacos
via: Creole Contessa (slightly modified by me-including doubling the spice mix)

4 whitefish fillets (I used Corvina, which was great. It was $$6 a pound, instead of the Wahoo or Pollack that I usually buy at $15 a pound)
1 (2) tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 (2) teaspoon creole seasoning ( I used Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning)
1 (2) teaspoon black pepper
1/2 (1) teaspoon onion powder
1/2 (1) teaspoon chili powder
1/4 (1/2) teaspoon cumin
1/4 (1/2) teaspoon oregano, dried, crushed
1/2 (1) lemon, juiced
1/2 (1) lime, juiced
corn tortilla shells
grated cheese
limes to garnish
shredded cabbage

<b>For the Sriracha Sour Cream: (I did not make this, but it sounds tasty.)
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon sriracha sauce

Rinse fish and pat dry. Place fish in a bowl or Ziplock baggie, add seasonings, olive oil and juice to fish, mix well. (I cut our fish into bit size pieces.)
Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.

Wrap tortilla shells up in foil paper. Place on prepared grill until fish is ready.

Grill fish for 6-7 minutes per side until flaky. (I prepared the fish by cooking it in a small bit of olive oil in a skillet on the stove - very quick.)

To Prepare the Sriracha Sour Cream:
Serve with sriracha sour cream by mixing ingredients together.
Serve with cheese, coleslaw and a squeeze of lime.

This is an Ellie approved recipe.

No comments: