Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Orr Brothers & Other Miscellaneous Days





So, where did I leave off? Oh, yes, the races in Glenwood Springs. After much reflection during Saturday evening and not such great biking results both of the kids made plans on how to improve.




Sunday morning was as beautiful as the last and the kids had a bit of time since they did not race until the afternoon. Ellie and Anna putz around and left a bit early so that could go into town before hand. Ethan and Ari decided that they MUST rent a boat. We discussed the day's schedule and off they went. They were supposed to be gone for only 45 minutes. An hour flew by. They did not return so I went to the dock to wait for them. An other hour later and they were sill not back. By this time I was MAD, madder than I can remember being in YEARS! I could not understand why they had not returned. "Okay," I thought to myself, "the boys could have lost track of time or they might have misgauged how long it takes to row back. " At that point I was anxious. If we did not leave right then Ethan would not make it to the race in time and I would not be there to support Ellie in her race. Where they blowing me off? I was also sad and conflicted. How long do I wait? What if they are hurt? What should I do? I was thankful that Ellie had the foresight to go to town with Anna and Davis. She would race, even if I was not there to cheer her on. It got to the point where I could not wait any longer. I had the awards and duties to attend to. I walked backwards off of the dock, hoping to see them come around the bend.




It may have in fact be best that Ethan was not with me for that ride into town - it would have been a BIG fight. I was fuming! When I got to the race Ellie's group was already lined up and ready to go. I made it with two minutes to spare. She started out slow and then pulled out her big attack. Each lap of the crit. showed her in a better position. When there was just one lap to go she put on her jet pack and sprinted the remaining 1/4 mile, flying happily into 3rd place. We stopped in for ice cream to celebrate her great results.


By the time we were headed home I had decided what some of the consequences would be. Since the camp is in the remote wilderness I still did not know what made them late. The coach was going to have him clean bikes at the next practice. He also suggested that I make him pay for the gas for the entire trip, or at least the extra gas I would use up going back up to camp again. However, once we arrived I learned that I had not been blown off. The boys had run into problems when their oar lock broke. They had to use the paddle and spin their way (against a head wind) to shore. They tried to get help but no one on the lake had a boat big enough to help them. Laura said it took them three hours to paddle back and that they looked like a teacup ride at an amusement park as they made their way to shore. I was relieve to find out that they were okay and that they had not been thoughtless.


------------------
This last Saturday we did not have a bike race so we took the opportunity to sleep in. After a leisurely start we headed to the farmer's market in Cherry Creek. I was hoping for some nice veggies and maybe a bit of fresh basil. The kids and I had a grand time, as always. There was a man playing the pan flute, the smell of freshly made tortillas and tamales. There were the flower vendors, the Hawaiian Shaved Ice and the folks that sell hand made goods. We sampled flavored whipped cream (AMAZINGLY GOOD!) and had some baklava. Later we had grilled sausages. We were enticed by the handmade soap lady and when home with several bars. Ellie picked out "Freckle Face" a nice blue bar of spearmint and peppermint. She also selected "Lemonade" which is made of lemon essence and chamomile. Ethan elected to by a Tea Tree Clay bar that smelled like motor oil to me. It is for deep cleaning. My boy when for that manly odor - no spicey or fruit undertones for him. He loves it. I selected "Peppermint Pumice." We are very happy with what we have. We were having all of the grand parents over for dinner so we picked out some lovely veggies and in the end I succumbed to the cut flower temptation when I purchased a big punch of Canterbury Bells. As we sat by the river before we headed home Ethan remarked how fun it had been. He says, "Mom, do you think this is what farmer's markets are like in France?"

No comments: