Monday, June 02, 2008

A Penny For Your Thoughts - My Son as Begins to Give Back

There are moments in your life that you want to remember. Things said or done that tug at your heart, confirn your belief that your child is a good person and that you are being a successful parent. Last night was one of those nights. It really touched me and I thought it was worth sharing. It seems important now, but I also know how easy it is to forget the little things, too.

Last night Ethan and I were at the grocery story getting some food for the week. On Friday he got his first ever pay check and was feeling like he could take over his expenses. He pondered what he would buy for himself. When we were checking out he glanced over at the galloping horse ride that seem to be in every King Soopers/City Market grocery store. He fondly remembered the times when he would walk over as a young lad and find a penny (or three, as happened one time) on the box where the changes goes into the machine. He always felt so lucky to find the money are go for a free ride. As he shared those memories with me he was fishing around in his pocket and came up with a penny. I also found one in my purse. He said that he wanted other kids to have the same thrill and has vowed to leave pennies on the horse ride every time he thinks of it. Even before we were done a little girl with a spring in her step and swishing dark hair found the penny Ethan had laid there. Just has he had hoped, she was thrilled by the magic of finding the good luck he left for her. She rode the horse with joy and giggles. Ethan enjoyed watching her. He said he was glad it was her. He says he will make sure to do this same act every time he can. My heart warmed. My son, almost 15 and nearing adulthood, has seen the value of selfless giving and wants to begin giving back. It makes me proud.

No comments: