Saturday, April 17, 2010

Aliums Mosaic, Ornithology Plate and Spending Time with The Girl - They make me happy!

I'm in a gardening kind of mood. Many of the bloggers I follow have been posting gorgeous photos of plants and flowering trees. Here in Colorado, we are not there yet, but small things are starting to make their presence known in my garden.

This year I think I might have to add Aliums, especially the giant globe type, if they are hardy enough for our zone.

1. alium, 2. Alium, 3. Alium III, 4. Alium #44/365, 5. Swedish aliums, 6. Alium II, 7. Aliums, 8. June 6th 2009, 9. Bokeh Bells


Today Ellie had a time trial race up at Haystack Mountain. It had been threatening to rain since last night, but instead we had weather that was perfect for riding. The afternoon racers had a different story. It began to sprinkle just as we were leaving and as I see facebook photos from the race it looks like they had a downpour.

Ethan opted for a mountain bike race instead. He had a fun time, but had, as he puts is, "large slice of humble pie."

On the way home from the race Ellie and I stopped by Flatirons Mall. Coldwater Creek was having a 25% off everything store so I decided to buy a set of the Ornithology plates that I have been admiring since, oh, something like January. I plan to hang them in the bathroom. I love bird stuff.


While looking for a photo of the plates I came across a promising blog, Mangos, Chili and Z.
She has a recipe for pineapple chicken that I think I might need to try:

Tangy Pineapple Chicken

2 whole chicken breasts without skin
1 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 can pineapple chunks in juice
1 Tbs cornstarch
1/8 cup Dijon mustard
1/8 cup honey
1 clove garlic — minced
Rice — cooked

Sprinkle chicken with thyme, salt and pepper. In a skillet, brown chicken in oil.

Meanwhile, drain pineapple reserving the juice. Combine cornstarch and 2 Tablespoons juice until smooth. set aside.

Combine mustard, honey, garlic and remaining 1/2 of the can of pineapple juice; mix well.

Add to pan, bring to boil, reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes. Remove chicken and keep warm.

Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan; bring to boil for 2 minutes.

Return chicken to pan, top with a few of the pineapple chunks and heat thoroughly. Serve over rice.

Servings: 2

I followed one of her links and found "Nibble Me This". I looks like I might have to add that to my blogroll, too. Maybe I could learn somethings that will make me a better grillmaster.

No comments: