Thursday, April 08, 2010

Oh My, I am Busy and Tada- My First Ever Web Site Finally Launched!


So much has been going on that I forget to post about some pretty cool things. One big one is the fact that I launched my first website about two weeks ago. Or rather, the one I designed was made public. I'm pretty proud of myself because I taught myself how to do it. I did this through watching videos on Lynda.com and getting tips from my friend who teaches web design. I've wanted to learn how to do it for some time. It was a pretty big deal. Even now there are already things that I want to change and some things I cannot figure out. For example, everything looks great when you look at the website through Mozilla FireFox, but it does not display correctly in IE. I will have to figure that one out. You can view it at blacksheepcycling.org.

The kids have started back up with a good bit of racing. We had the first race in the Karen Hornbostel Memorial Time Trial last night. I went from a day long intensive training, picked up a team mate and headed to Cherry Creek where my dear friend and angel, Laura, had made me a tasty, filling and sin-free turkey and cheese wrap with sprouted bread. It was such a treat to go from the whirlwind of the day I had to that. I'm guessing that she doesn't even really know how nice that was to have such a treat. I hope that some of my actions make her feel equally supported. It was great fun to watch Ethan and Bradin zip around as they warmed up. Ethan's unzipped racing jacket flapped merrily behind him as he stood up on his pedals and glided through the parking lot, back and forth, laughing much of the time. I went to capture the moment and found that I had not brought my camera along. Hopefully there will be a repeat performance next week. Ellie had a good time too. Her time was not what she might have hoped for, but that is because she stopped in the middle of her race to help a much younger racer who had fallen, still had his feet clipped to the pedals and was crying. I am proud that she made the choice to help that young boy. After all, good character is far more important than good race time.

Right now I am gearing up for the next big thing. I am enjoying a simple dinner a bit of ice cream and my favorite blogs before I tackle setting up the main floor of my house for a 30 person dinner party I am hosting tomorrow evening. I'm part of a committee who puts on the Colorado Teen Literature Conference. The pre-conference dinner is at my house since I can fit the most people inside. It has been a catlyst for cleaning and painting, though tonight there is plenty of straightening to be done yet. I'll be making 7 table clothes, too. I tried to find some reasonably priced ones that matched, but had no luck. I want the various card tables and folding tables to look nice. I see my home through the eyes of my friend who are without kids and all that such a life style brings into the house. Our house is humble, warm and inviting, but our mostly hand-me-down furniture style is a bit mismatched and to top it all off, the dishwasher is broken. No matter, I will make it work. At Walmart I found mill ends of a lovely deep blue woven fabric that is 58" wide for $1.50 a yard. With a small bit of effort I will get just what I want and all for under $20. You can't bet that deal.

Okay, we'll I should get to it. I'll report back with tales of funny authors, great committee member and a smashing conference that is already sold out!

No comments: