Sunday, June 26, 2011

Arriving at Anderson Ranch Art Center




(Pictures will be coming soon.)
It is an unusual evening. I am sitting on the porch of the cafe' at the Anderson Ranch Art Center in Snowmass on the eve of my first day at an art workshop on imagination and photograph. I am on a borrowed computer. The air has a pleasant, crisp quality. I am wearing a head lamp so that I can see the keyboard.

My family sent me off in a cheery mood. My husband made sure I had the needed maps, cleaned all of my windows so that I could enjoy the views to the fullest and removed the Thule from the top of the car so I could drive with less wind drag. He even went over the list of stuff to make sure that I had not forgotten anything. Ethan did various errands without complaint, seemingly happy to make sure I could get underway quickly. Ellie was a sleepy head and simply wished me a good time.

I arrived in the late afternoon after a long drive from Denver to Aspen. The trip was lengthen by the advent of a semi truck rolling at a major intersection in Glenwood Springs, blocking traffic in both directions. I was not bothered as I was at least waylaid in the middle of Glenwood Canyon - one of the gorgeous places in Colorado. It has already been in interesting drive. I was passed by a few cars that were wrapped in carefully constructed plastic coats with strategic cutout where the windows and lights were located. I imagine that they were all part of a test drive across some part of the country. During the hour long stand still in the canyon I continued to listed to "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" in anticipation of seeing the last installment of the movies. I read the book when it first came out, but have since forgotten most of it.

It is a magical, almost surreal feeling to be here. The campus is set on a gentle, slopping hill. The various buildings are all made of wood and each has its own architecture. There is a building devoted to each discipline. I am smitten by the look of the extensive wood shop. (I may even go back to snap a few photos - there are such wonderful textures.) Next to it sits the ceramics studios. One sports a patio with kick wheels lined up with a great view of the surroundings. The other has external beams decorated with various ceramic pieces. Another wall has a ton of mugs and small sculptures. I would imagine that there is a tradition to leave something of yourself behind.

I am rooming with two lovely young college students. One from California and the other from New York. The rooms are tiny and full with two bunk beds, but they are also comfortable. None of us intends to spend much time in them anyway.

The cafe is situated next to the dorm. It has walls of windows that are build from what looks to be garage doors so that they can and indeed were, raised up to allow the sweet mountain air flow through. For the evening meal we sat with our classmates and instructors. Our class was short a few participants. The meal was lovely. We had beef stew (or lentil stew, if you like) herbed baked potatoes, roasted asparagus and salad. For dinner we had an apple crisp with just the right amount of sweetness.


Following dinner we had an optional guest artist lecture by Gary Simmons, whose art is very interesting. His installations are intended as an experience. While he has several distinct styles, my favorite is his chalk art. (You can learn more about him here.)As he spoke he invited questions. One person asked a somewhat controversial question to which he replied, "We are all artists here, so I can answer that one directly..." I loved that. I can't think of a time in my life where I have ever had such an experience as this one.

Just imagine it - five days at art camp where I am housed, feed, taught and given time to create. What a lucky girl I am.

No comments: