Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A Little Leather-Bound Journal for the Alpine Valley School Auction - Gearing Up for Holiday Giving

Each year I aim to make a handmade gift for each person in my immediate family. Now that the kids are nearly grown, or are grown, it is harder. I am asking directly for requests. This year Ethan has requested a leather cover for his Delorme atlas. In preparation for that gift making session, I tackled a smaller leather project so that I could figure out what to do and what not to do.
The outside of the journal.
The Alpine Valley School auction is coming up on Friday so I decided to make a small, 5" x 7" leather cover for a journal. I made it so that the journal, once full, could be switched out.


Making the journal was not very hard and I am happily onto crafting the bigger one. The leather that I used is pretty thin. Ethan would like his cover made with much thicker leather, but I am not sure that I have the skill or the funds to take on that challenge.

No comments: