Saturday, March 10, 2007

Bag Lady II




I've been having fun making more bags. The cloth one is an improvement over the last one I made with the blue & brown polka dots. When I made that bag I pleated the top, but not th bottom of the lower section of the bag. The result is that when it is full of stuff the bottom gets wide and flat. I actually seem to be the only one that notices that. However, I wanted the bag that I make for myself to be different. Thus, I did twin pleats on the top and bottom seams of the lower section of my bag. I love the fabrics I used. The flower fabric is from Jane Sassamon's new collection. I have used material from that line for many things. The prints are too large to work into clothing, but I am doing my best to make the work elsewhere. The purple fabric is from my friend, Natalie. I think she got it at Superbuzzy. The yellow fabric matches perfectly with the flower fabric. It sports Chinese characters. I am pleased with the outside of the bag. The inside is a different matter. I did not taylor the inside, I simply cut and gathered material the size of the lower portion of the bag. The result is that it looks puffy. The upper section is quilted to give it some strength. I eched the flower pattern from the lower section.

The other bag is almost ready to be felted. I had knitted the handles, but saw another technique on line where you cast on 120 stitches and work just a few rows, instead of the cast on 10 stitches and tons of rows. I am not sure if I will both to rip the other and reknit it. If I do I know it will have straighter lines. The quesiton is, could I get that if I simply blocked the other well?

No comments: