Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Do I Need Hand Holding? I Am Not Sure!



This past weekend I worked on the last bits of my bag and felted it. I have included the before and after photo for you to see. Some people were interested to see how it would come out because I used wools from Lamb's Pride (blues, periwinkle and fushia), Conti (lime green), Noro (multicolor strands) and a synthetic eyelash yarn. Those people worried that I would get an oddly shaped bag once it was felted because those yarns all felt at different rates. It is true that the Conti shrank faster, but it yielded to a bit of blocking and now you can't see the size difference. I carried (combined two yarns and knitted them together as if they were one yarn) the Noro with a solid color in most places, so it worked out great. I did use it alone in the handle. There I found that it results in a thinner felt than the others. The eyelash acted just as I thought it would. I am thrilled with how it came out. I was hoping that you could see the texture difference between the knitted and the felted. It does not show up as well as I had hoped. You'll simply have to believe me when I say it looks great.

Next up are the beginnings of fingerless gloves that my dear son, Ethan requested. I am both excited and a little scared to be making them. My other projects involved BIG yarn. The needles were always at least #10s, with 4 stitches to an inch. This yarn is tiny, as are the #4 needles. This works up to about 6.5 stitches to the inch. The pattern is GREAT! It comes from Knitty.com and is called "Knucks." If you knit and have not been to that site, you must go there soon. They have funny, wonderfully written articles and really cool patterns, most of which are free. If my son was younger I would make the scarf that looks like a legless dragon, complete with a face, ears and scales. Anyhow, I digress. So, we went to buy the yarn. The woman who often helps me greets me like usual. She is always wonderful about answering my questions. I tell and show her what I want to make. She is silent for a long moment, purses her lips and says, "Oh, I see..." I pause, trying to figure out her response. When I ask her about it she is sweet and tries to be neutral by beginning with, "It is important to challenge yourself... but this is very different from what I have seen you make." I wonder, am I too self assured here? Maybe. She tells me that she has not made gloves, but enjoyed making mittens. Maybe I should do those first. She reminds me that it is okay to have to rip things out several times - that it is a good learning tool. Ethan is not having it. He has dreamed of having hand knit black fingerless gloves, but he does mention that I would be okay if I did not want to do it. Still, he thinks his Mama can do and make nearly anything. This gives me a bit of courage. Then I realize that I often do not go the usual route. I don't usually take what my friend calls "hand-holding" classes where the instructor guides you through every step. I often skip things, leaping ahead. I buy what I need; she wishes me luck. I find my self a little scared (but know that I can get help, or I can rip it out, if need be) I go home, print out the pattern and go for it. In the last day and a half I have already made nine of the ten fingers needed. So far it is fun. So, which one of us was right? Am I being naive, or is she timid? Time will tell... I will keep you updated on the progress, including the ripping, that I make...

1 comment:

Peg said...

YOU CAN DO IT!!! I have No doubt!
Love your bag! It turned out beautiful!!